Jollof rice is a popular West African dish made with rice, vegetables, and a variety of spices. Here is a recipe for making jollof rice:
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup green peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 habanero pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the rice in a fine mesh sieve until the water runs clear.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic and habanero pepper (if using) and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, bell pepper, green peas, carrots, thyme, curry powder, and cumin to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Add the water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the jollof rice hot, with your choice of protein or vegetables on the side.
We hope you enjoy this recipe!