Egusi is a type of soup made with ground melon seeds and is popular in West Africa, particularly in Nigeria. Here is a recipe for making egusi soup:
- 1 cup egusi (melon) seeds, ground
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 habanero pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 pound beef or chicken, cut into small pieces
- 4 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup chopped greens (such as spinach or collard greens)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic and habanero pepper (if using) and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the beef or chicken and cook until it is browned on all sides.
- Add the broth, water, and tomatoes to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the ground egusi to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Add the chopped greens and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, with rice or bread on the side.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!